Financial advise for students

Studying in Maastricht
You are going to study in another country. There's a lot to think about. Also financially. Because many things are arranged differently than in your own country. So it would be useful to have an overview of the financial possibilities the Netherlands have to offer you as a student.

Registering in the municipality and BSN
When you register, you will receive information to collect your BSN as soon as possible. A BSN is a personal number that you use for contact with the government, such as the tax authorities. Registering with the municipality is mandatory if you are going to live in the Netherlands for at least four months. Apply for a residence permit first if you have a non-European nationality.

Student grant
In the Netherlands, if you meet the requirements, you may be eligible for financial support. Whether you, as a foreign student, are entitled to this support depends mainly on the type of residence permit you have. In addition, some other conditions apply, but these are the same for everyone.

Rent allowance
If you rent a room, house or apartment, you may be eligible for financial support from the government. We call this rent allowance. However, there are a number of conditions attached to this. Therefore, not everyone who rents a room or apartment will receive this allowance. And you must apply for this allowance yourself.

Care allowance
If you are a foreign student and you take out health insurance in the Netherlands, you may also be eligible for a healthcare allowance. Conditions also apply to the care allowance. Your income and assets are taken into account. Other conditions apply to foreign students, namely that you must be younger than 30 and have a secondary job. You must apply for this allowance yourself.

Working and studying
If you want to work while studying, it is important to know whether you need a work permit. Do you have the nationality of a country from the European Union, Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland or Switzerland? If so, you do not need a work permit. For all other nationalities, you will need a work permit to work in the Netherlands. A work permit is subject to certain restrictions. For example, you may:
- work during the months of June, July, August OR
- work during the whole year, but never more than 10 hours a week

You have to make a choice. Both options together are not allowed!

If you start working in the Netherlands, you have to pay tax on the total of your income. For more information please contact us.

Supplement for students who cannot work
Are you unable to work due to a disability, medical condition or illness? Then you may be entitled to an individual student grant. This supplement is also subject to certain conditions. The individual study supplement is paid by the municipality you live in.

Financial problems
Studying is expensive, especially when you also have to pay your fixed costs such as rent, health insurance, electricity, internet, etc. It can happen that you spend more money than you earn. There is then a risk that you are in arrears with the payment of your fixed costs. Then it's good to know that you can get help from a budget coach. At BudgetGemak we help you when you are not able to pay your bills. We call creditors, try to make arrangements and map out all your income and expenses. Moreover, we will immediately check if you are not missing any income, such as student grants or allowances.

Questions or finances?
As you can see, there are many possibilities when you come to study in the Netherlands. However, you will need to know what is possible, how you should apply for certain things and which authorities you should approach if you have any questions. We can help you with that. Even if things are not going well for you financially, we can advise you. Would you like to know more? Then please contact us.

telephone: 06-57509491

We speak English and German.